Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Hypocrite

I didn't see him at first,the lights too bright.My eyes tried to focus upon the man by the side of the road.The incoming sea continued on past me, a never ending flow of dark lifeless shapes.

He was dragging himself along the road looking helplessly at the wave after wave of people and machines. Everyone walked past him.A cripple far below their world and eye.

"Do you want to cross the road my friend", i enquired. He looked up at me with listless eyes and nodded.

My raised hands did little to stop the flow.I looked down at the helpless eyes of an unfortunate victim of circumstance.I decided to take the plunge and warily waded onto the sea trying to break through the flood.The sudden explosion of noise was deafening.A million high pitched horns cried in unison and just as suddenly stopped. The sight of the man on a rickety board dragging himself behind me silenced the noise.

Safe on the other side, the sea resumed its never ending course."Thank You", he said. I smiled, acknowledged, nodded understandingly and walked onward, my good deed for the day done.The smile stayed on my face till i turned the key to my apartment and switched on the television.

I am the hypocrite.

It was the persistent smile that did me away.It betrayed an overfed ego and a choreographed sense of humanity.It reeked of instinctive falsehood and the rabid need for self gratification.

I pity myself for i am lost.We, are all lost.For today, we feed on ourselves.

2 comments:

varun said...

What happened after switching on the television?

Saru Singhal said...

Indeed you did a good deed for the day...:)